Re: Christian? On what basis?

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 10:13:44 EDT

    Allen Roy wrote:

    > I've missed some of this, but in the Bible there are only two verses -- one
    > in the OT and one in the NT -- the that define what a soul is :

    snip

    > We are souls, we do not have souls. .............................
    >
    > Allen

    "Just for kicks", I word searched the NT to see what Jesus had to say about
    this. It seems to me that his opinion should carry more weight than most.
    Eliminating duplications from Mark or Luke, I get the following 4 from Matthew.
    They seem to imply that we have a soul -- not that we are one.

    Matthew 10:28
    Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.
    Rather, be
    afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

    Matthew 16:26
    What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his
    soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

    Matthew 22:37
    Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your
    soul and with all your mind.'

    Matthew 26:38
    Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the
    point of death.
    Stay here and keep watch with me."

    Walt

    --