Re: Christian? On what basis?

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 16:48:51 EDT

    Dr. Blake Nelson wrote:

    > In many areas, good scholarly research points out that
    > our current, popular interpretation of Holy Scripture
    > might not be what was intended by those who wrote
    > those pieces of scripture. For example, you refer to
    > the immortal soul. While there is great debate about
    > what "soulishness" means, there is a very well
    > supported line of scholarly research regarding the
    > understanding of the Old and New Testaments that
    > contends that an immortal soul, as some independent,
    > non-material substance, added to our otherwise
    > material makeup is not supported by the Holy
    > Scriptures. Yet, these theologians and scholars of
    > the Old and New Testament retain their Christian and
    > creedal hope in the resurrection of the body. None of
    > the creeds say that a belief in an immortal soul is a
    > foundational belief of Christianity. Indeed, the
    > arguments of these scholars focuse on the fact that
    > the immortal soul is a Greek philosophical graft onto
    > Christian theology.

    Now that is imteresting --- and surprising.. I did a word search for
    soul and it sounds like the the OT tends to use it as a synonym for a
    person. But the NT definitly seems to speak of a soul as someything
    which we posess and which is more important than the body -- like it is
    not agood idea to loose it. Also there seems to be a definite connection
    to immoprtalirty in some of the verses --- but only as related to Jesus
    Christ.

    Walt

    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>

    In any consistent theory, there must