Re: Anthropological items

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 15:01:43 EDT

    Jay,
    I must comment on the cogency of your response to my statements. You
    first present an argument from authority. As to the relevance of the
    authority, I note that Ludwig Boltzman "... proposed that the second law
    does not hold absolutely: it is a statement of relative possibilities."
    (Dictionary of the History of Science [Princeton, 1981], p. 181) "This
    statistical redefinition of the second law of thermodynamics was crucial
    in Max Planck's formulation of the black body law in 1900. It implies,
    against the original formulation of the second law of thermodynamics,
    that entropy can decrease, though it almost always does not..." (Ibid.,
    p. 400) Somehow, I feel that what is accepted as a scientific law trumps
    some guy, even one from Harvard.

    The relevance of Ross's statement as a rebuttal depends on the principle
    that what holds for the whole holds for every element therein, also known
    as the fallacy of division. The fact is that any plant, and even
    cyanobacteria, collect CO2 and H2O plus various other more or less
    randomly distributed materials and order them as carbohydrates, lipids,
    proteins and other more complex compounds in elaborate structures. Even
    if, on the whole, entropy increases in open systems, there are pockets
    where order increases.

    Your last paragraph shows that you grasped my opening statement about
    order. Since I specified only energy, you recognized that a bright enough
    light, or a loud enough sound, or sufficient heat, that is, any adequate
    input of pure energy, is sufficient to sort your papers and place them
    properly in file cabinets. Few would have caught on so quickly.

    Thanks for presenting the foundations of your approach so clearly.
    Dave

    On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:51:12 -0400 "Jay Willingham"