Re: justified & sinner (Was Re: Inerrancy)

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 12:09:22 EDT

    George,

    I'm surprised at your identification of the view you outline below
    with "the Lutheran view" since as far as I can tell it is identical
    with my view.

    Total deprativity, to Calvinists, does not mean "that there is
    absolutely nothiing good about unregenerate humanity at all". We
    labor to distinguish between the "extent" of depravity (which is
    total and affects every human faculty) and the "degree" of depravity
    which is not absolute. Thus no Calvinist theologian that I know of
    would say that man is as bad as he good be.

    Also, with respect to "simul justus et peccator" -- equally part of
    the Reformed theological tradition and the reason that justification
    is always the mainspring for sanctification. We never get beyond our
    need of the merits (both active and passive) of Christ.

    TG

    --
    Fort Collins, Colorado  80523