Re: Anthropological items

From: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 18:50:26 EDT

    Jay,
    I have talked to physicists specifically on the notion of entropy and the
    argument that the 2nd Law prohibits the evolutionary development of
    increased complexity. If your claim about entropy were correct, it would
    be impossible for your papers to be filed, for the order is increased
    thereby. In physical language, this is decreased entropy in your files.
    What is required for the task of straightening things up is that some
    energy be expended to produce the ordered result. As a consequence, the
    total entropy of the universe has been increased very slightly. The 2nd
    Law provides that, in a closed system, entropy increases. The earth is
    not a closed system: it gets energy from the sun. This indirectly
    provides the energy required for your continued order. If you were
    transformed into a closed system, no input, you would quickly cease to
    function and, in time, minute organisms would reduce your order further
    until they too reached the end of their order--nothing from you that they
    could continue to input.

    One of my physicist friends commented that entropy is somewhat difficult
    to understand, so that a lot of nonsense is presented in its name. He
    added that entropy is a probabilistic concept, one aspect of which is
    presented in Maxwell's demon. Dr. David Campbell may not be a physicist,
    but he's got entropy right. You have believed a lie.
    Dave