Re: History of 6000 Year old creation

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 19:10:42 EDT

    Allen,

         I think if you are accurately summarizing him, and I don't doubt you
    are, your source Hasel's presentation of Augustine's views on Gen. 1, leaves
    much to be desired. Augustine rejected the notion that days should be taken
    literally for the same reason numerous others have, because the sun was not
    created until the fourth day, so to him it makes no sense to take "day"
    literally. Augustine speculated that the six days were a framework in which
    God instructed the angels as to how he would create, or perhaps Moses wrote
    the text this way to accomodate to the limited intellectual understanding of
    most people. As for the views of Augustine and Basil on creation, I
    recommend the article by Howard Van Till, "Basil, Augustine and the Doctrine
    of Creation's Functional Integrity," in _Science and Christian Belief_ 8
    (1996) 21-36. For Augustine on the nature of time, see _Confessions_, Book
    XI in any modern translation.

         Michael Robert can comment much better than I could on the geological
    reasons (not the philosophy of uniformitarianism) by which numerous 19th
    cent. geologists, including evangelicals, recognized that the evidence
    demanded long periods of time for the age of the earth.

    Bob