RE: Daniel

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 15:02:32 EDT

    I have a question for those of you who know more about this subject than I
    do.

    What valid conclusions can we draw from the way that books were grouped in
    ancient versions of the Old Testament?

    In the Jewish Tanak the books of Joshua, Judges, Samuel, and Kings,
    popularly designated historical books today, were grouped among the
    Prophets. Daniel was among the Writings and was followed by Ezra-Nehemiah
    and Chronicles, also popularly designated historical books today. Since
    Daniel has parts that look like history and other parts that look like
    prophecy, could it be the historical part that caused it to be included
    among the Writings along with Ezra-Nehemiah and Chronicles?

    The Septuagint, on the other hand, has the Old Testament books in the same
    order as in our Bibles today, i. e. among the Prophets. This would make it
    appear that the opinion that Daniel belongs among the Prophets is very old
    and was probably widely held.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado