Re: Daniel

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 19:40:15 EDT

    Gordon,
    Sender: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu

         I know little about the history of the Septuagint, except that the
    earliest MSS date from the 4th/5th centuries AD, as the OT of Christian
    Bibles: the famous Sinaiticus, Alexandrinus, and Vaticanus MSS. Thus, the
    order of books in these witnesses likely reflect the rearrangement of the OT
    texts by the Christian community.

         I recall once learning that Daniel was thought to have been included
    among the prophets in the Christian canon of the OT because of the
    references to the Son of Man. I have to add, though, that I don't trust my
    memory much these days. Could the books of Samuel and Kings have been
    classed with the Prophets in the Jewish canon because they contain the
    stories of Samuel, Elijah, Elisha and numerous other prophets?

    Bob Schneider