Re: History of 6000 Year old creation

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 06 2002 - 16:50:33 EDT

    I think the extract from my book chapter shows that most from 1660 accepted
    a chaos rstitution interpretation with chaos lasting an indefinite but
    shortish period.

    I would now argue from 1550 or so and very much from 1600 as this was the
    view of Descartes, Bacon, Grotius and Mersenne, 4 heavywieghts. This was
    folowed by whiston and other Theories of the Earth and passed over to the 18
    Century. Most prot and cath exegetes supported it (except Matt Henry, Andrew
    Fuller)

    In 1748 in his Natural History Buffon mocked Whiston et al but adopted a
    similar view. In his Epochs of Nature 1778 he is more explicit and allows a
    great length of time for the Gap/chaos and then six periods rather than
    days. He cited Calmet anRC exegete. Some of the Sorbonne were unhappy but
    some RC clergy supported him including Soulavie and Needham. I suggest you
    read Roger's biography ET 1990
    At the same time Whitehurst a mate of Erasmus Darwin published similar views
    and in 1775 de Luc wrote to Queen Charlotte in later published letters a
    long day interp of Genesis to allow for geology and in 1790s wrote similar
    views in the conservative high church Anglican journal the British Critic
    and had no opposition.

    I have searched in vain for oppsition to these old earth views of Genesis
    but cant find many examples (RCS Barruel and Sorbonne theols in France, poss
    some of the Anglican Hackney phalanx in England and R Kirwan) By reading
    both english and french I have found more French examples most of which a
    either pre-revolutonary or post revolution arch-conservatives like
    Chateaubriand. Now my french is appalling and I have garnered as many
    english writers as posssible.

    I will be fair and say that Buffon and Whitehurst only modified an old
    interpretation and Chalmers got the credit.

    As I have said before YEC was very much a minority view from 1600 onwards as
    most allowed a bit more time and by 1770s millions of years or at least
    70,000

    Henry Morris eat your heart out. and perhaps this might cure Ham.

    Michael