RE: sciDocument.rtf

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 22:24:09 EDT

    Hi Paul, You wrote:
    >I think there is a perfectly reasonable and biblical alternative:
    >
    >God has delegated the discovery of natural truth to mankind (Gen
    >1:26-28) and consequently does not reveal those kinds of truths.
    >I see no claims anywhere in Scripture to the effect that God
    >intends to reveal truths of the natural world. I see throughout
    >the Bible, including in the life and teaching of Jesus,
    >accommodation to the science of the times.

    I know your view quite well having read your excellently argued book.
    However, one question I don't recall you ever being able to answer, at least
    to my satisfaction, is this: If God delegated the discovery of natural truth
    to man, how can you be sure He didn't also delegate the discovery of
    theological truth to man? Upon what basis, theological, scriptural or
    natural, do you reject the delegation of theological discovery? And if God
    did delegate only scientific discovery, where does God tell us this? You
    never tell your readers exactly what the basis for your belief that God
    delegated the search for natural truth is. Is it a theological revelation?
    Where is it in the Scripture? Did God tell you that He delegated this task?
    I simply don't see that you have much here other than an assumption, made by
    you in order to avoid the nasty science problems. How do you KNOW your
    assumption of God's delegation is actually TRUE?

    The consequences of God delegating the discovery of theological truth to
    mankind are such that the entire Hebrew Scriptures might simply be a dead
    end in mankind's search.

    >It is not logical to say that if God accommodated his revelation
    >of spiritual truths to ancient science, then he is making the
    >science up from the whole cloth of falsity. He is not making
    >anything up.

    OK, so man makes it up and calls it an inspired word of God. What
    epistemological basis do we have for saying that all descriptions of the
    natural world in the Bible are not true and only the theological extracts
    are true? Where does it say this in any theological document--other than
    your book and preferably within Scripture? And indeed, if descriptions of
    the natural world are delegated, how do you separate the description of the
    resurrected body from that delegation? When does this delegation end
    temporally? If people can be wrong about descriptions of the creation of the
    world, floating axe-heads and other obviously false things, were the
    apostles still allowed freedom in their description and discovery of the
    natural world when they mistakenly thought they saw Jesus walk through a
    wall into a locked room?

    The problem I have with your view Paul, is that you make an assumption which
    may be correct, may be wrong. But that assumption is so key to your
    position, that it would really be nicer if one could find it stated in
    Scripture rather than only in your books.

    personal stories of struggle