Re: Psalm 137 and God's ethics

From: Jay Willingham (jaywillingham@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 14:49:33 EDT

    Bob,

    Please forgive me if I offended.

    I would have addressed the same responses to Origin or Augustine. Did not
    did they not reach similar conclusions regarding God's sovereignty?
    Augustine's "just war" dealt with the unavoidable suffering and death of
    innocents in such situations.

    Please see my arguments restated below, augmented and cleansed I hope of
    anything you might find pharisaical.

    Of course you are correct, God's word speaks at many levels from the plain
    and literal to the abstract and symbolic. I simply believe it speaks in all
    these ways at once harmoniously.

    I was not casting aspersions on your faith, simply and to you unnecessarily
    pointing out regarding these "hard sayings" that

    1 Corinthians 13:12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then
    we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even
    as I am fully known.
    13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of
    these is love.

    God bless you, too.

    Jay