RE: sciDocument.rtf

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 11:27:02 EDT

            Hi Glenn,
    On a conciliatory note, let me say that I understand where, you, Gordon, and
    David are coming from. You want the Bible to be absolutely true on all
    matters, even matters incidental to the purpose of the writing.Thats good. I
    felt that way myself. I used to hero worship folks like Josh McDowell [ I
    hear tell you know him:)] who could explain away every error and
    contradiction in the text. But I now think that the better approach is not
    to explain away errors in the text, but to explain why there might be error
    in the text.
    the reason, of course, is that God chose to proclaim his message through
    human beings. He did so in a manner that did not overwhelm the freedom of
    the human being who he inspired, but worked within the cultural and
    historical limitations of the human author and their audience. The writer of
    Leviticus was trying to identify to a Bronze Age, tribal audience which
    animals were clean and unclean. He shared the Ancient Near East view of
    animal life. He and presumably God had no interest in teaching modern
    zoology to his audience.
    Now God could have done things differently. He could have explained modern
    zoology to our tribal forebears in great detail. But then he would have
    given them a zoology textbook. WE would have been happy. It would have made
    OUR faith journey easier. But God in his sovereign wisdom chose not to do it
    that way.