RE: sciDocument.rtf

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 15:36:13 EDT

    Shuan,

    I think that it is a mistake to assume that the ancients used the same
    taxonomy as 21st century biologists. Thus we can't expect to
    find exact equivalents for translations of general categories. It appears
    to me that the first division the Old Testament makes is to distinguish
    land animals, marine animals, and animals that fly in the air. See Genesis
    1 and Leviticus 11.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado