Re: Black Sea Flood

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 23:21:17 EDT

    Walt,

    I don't normal jump to defend Glenn's views because I think that the
    culture of the early chapters of Genesis is Ancient Near East (ANE)
    and not in the 100,000's of years ago. Thus, I am sympathetic with
    the questions raised by Davis Young in his Antiquity and Unity of the
    Human Race: Revisited
    (http://www.asa3.org/ASA/resources/CSRYoung.html). These sorts of
    observations are what I believe have led Dick Fischer and Mike
    Satterlee to their belief that Adam appeared at this time.

    But the problem with all this, which I still don't believe Dick and
    Mike have really adequately answered, is that the scripture seems
    pretty clear that Adam is head, not only covenantally but also
    biologically, of the whole human race--I don't find the attempts to
    see two different human creation accounts in Genesis 1 and 2 to be
    convincing and a significant reconstruction of Biblical theology
    would have to follow. Glenn, I believe, is zealous to preserve the
    scriptural teaching concerning the unity of the hunan race in Adam
    more than the other harmonizing that others are attempting. He cites
    much evidence for human-like activity that is much more ancient than
    the historical record of the ANE; he also notes the recent
    out-of-Africa vs. the multiregional debates and the impact they have
    on our views here. Either view puts a last common ancestor of all
    humans long before ANE, where Dick and Mike have placed Adam. The
    recent out-of-Africa view seems a bit more palatable, although even
    here we're talking 100,000 to 200,000 years--still quite far removed
    from ANE civilization. If you accept the multi-regional view, then
    we're talking 1-2 million years ago and maybe more.

    While Glenn seems to be open to a local flood (his Mediterranean
    flood is local) he wants a more cataclysmic event than appears to be
    recorded in the ANE historical records and physical geographical
    records for this time period.

    Now, for Jim Eisele: it is this state of affairs that has led some
    such as Paul Seely to the accomodationist perspective. They conclude
    that it is simply not possible to have a satisfactory solution to
    these problems and thus the creation of Adam account is God's
    revealing his creative work in terms of the prevailing science of the
    day. I struggle with this position as well because I think this move
    tends to lower Biblical authority considerably.

    So what are we to do? What do I do? I guess I'm willing to have some
    loose-ends in my system. My confidence in scripture does not depend
    on my ability to harmonize all the difficulty passages (either Bible
    to Bible or Bible to science/history). My confidence in science is
    rooted in a Biblical perspective as well. (Science is a "Christian"
    enterprise rooted in "Biblical" presuppositions.) While we must
    always be on guard for anti-Christian biases in all areas of life
    where we share the world with non-Christians (and with our own sinful
    and biased tendencies), as far as I can see, non-Christians practice
    science pretty much the way I do, and I would (and do) make the same
    conclusions that they make about the issues at hand. If Jim thinks
    that Glenn's views are unsatisfying to the masses, I can hardly wait
    to hear what he says about this. The masses seem to want certain,
    simple answers which young-earthers and Biblical literalists are
    eager to dish out (that's why their web sites get so many hits), but
    life isn't always so simple and cognitive dissonance is sometimes
    required. This may seem like an apologetic disaster, but I would
    suggest that apologetics and evangelism doesn't start with Genesis,
    but with the cross and the empty tomb. Once there is faith in Christ,
    a personal relationship with Him, and submission to His Lordship, we
    can have confidence in scripture in the face of apparent scientific
    and historical conflict.

    Groping along,

    TG

    --