Re: Adam and Eve

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 15:58:29 EDT

    While I believe that divine Providence ensured that at some point in the
    evolutionary process creatures with moral consciences would emerge, I think
    it is also true that the conscience is formed by the culture in which one
    lives, and in particular by authority figures (parents, religious
    authorities, etc.). St. Thomas noted this when in one of his writings on
    the conscience (I'm not certain where), he stated that if going to
    prostitutes was a good in some culture and conscience told a man that this
    was a good, then to refuse to go to prostitutes would be a violation of
    conscience. We all learn about things people do in foreign cultures that we
    personally might find distasteful or repellent but are perfectly acceptable
    in those cultures. So, the issue, it seems to me, is not of conscience, but
    who forms it.

    Bob Schneider