Notes on Methodological Atheism

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 11:49:46 EDT

    OK, here are my notes on the Strunk book. They were written with my
    requirements in mind -- there are many other things than can be written
    and debated about both the book and the Epicurean writings.
    -------------
      Notes from the book THE CHOICE CALLED ATHEISM, Confronting the Claims of
    Modern Unbelief, by Orlo Strunk, Jr., Nashville, Tennessee, Abingdon
    Press, 1968. 160 pages, index. Paperback.

    Orlo Strunk, Jr. was a professor of psychology and academic dean at West
    Virginia Wesleyan College, and the author of other books on religious
    issues. He is a Christian. The aim of the book is to present introductory
    information on atheism for Christian lay people.

    The seven chapters:

    Part I Roots

    1 Who is an atheist?
    2. How Atheism comes about

    Part II Kinds of Atheism

    3. Marxist Atheism
    4. Christian Atheism
    5. Unconscious Atheism

    Part III Answers to Atheism

    6. The Church's Answer to Atheism
    7. The Christian's Answers to Atheism

    In chapter 2, he has a section titled "The Impact of Modern Science." On
    page 50, he writes:

                     "Just a brief excursion into the history and nature of
    science will give
                     some indication of how the contemporary view of science
    was born. Several
                     hundred years before Christ the Epicureans taught that
    science must accept
                     two fundamental principles. First, it should take account
    of all the evidence
                     available, and second , it should not explain perplexing
    phenomena by
                     referring to the possible intervention of the gods. In a
    very real sense this
                     Greek philosophy of science was the beginning of what
    might be called
                     methodological atheism."

    The term "methodological atheism," as Strunk uses it, appears to be
    identical to the term "methodological naturalism."

    So Strunk does assert that the two principles,

    1. Look at ALL the evidence
    and
    2. Ascribe nothing to the gods

    are both foundational to science and date back to the Epicureans about
    200 B.C.

    But Strunk does not, because this is a "popularî book, give a citation.

    On the Internet, there is a site devoted to Epicurus. The web address is
    <www.epicurus.net>. In late April of 2002, I looked there to see if I
    could find the two principles in the writings of Epicurus. I was
    successful in this, although some unpacking of the writings of this most
    interesting philosopher was necessary.

    Here are certain quotations from the plethora of good stuff I found on
    this site. After each quotation, in parentheses, are my comments:

    In a section called "Principle Doctrines," I found:

    22. "We must consider both the ultimate end and all clear sensory
    evidence, to which we refer our opinions; for otherwise everything will
    be full of uncertainty and confusion."

    (Look at ALL the evidence).

    24. "If you reject absolutely any single sensation without stopping to
    distinguish between opinion about things awaiting confirmation and that
    which is already confirmed to be present, whether in sensation or in
    feelings or in any application of intellect to the presentations, you
    will confuse the rest of your sensations by your groundless opinion and
    so you will reject any standard of truth. If in your ideas based upon
    opinion you hastily affirm as true all that awaits confirmation as well
    as that which does not, you will not avoid error, as you will be
    maintaining the entire basis for doubt in every judgment between correct
    and incorrect opinion."

    (Withhold judgment UNTIL you have considered all the evidence.
    Differentiate between speculations and fact.)

    In another document, "Vatican sayings," I find:

    40. "He who asserts that everything happens by necessity can hardly find
    fault with one who denies that everything happens by necessity; by his
    own theory this very argument is voiced by necessity."

    (David Griffin, in RELIGION AND SCIENTIFIC NATURALISM, makes fun of the
    pundit who asserts determinism, or "no free will," by observing that when
    such a person lectures, he has some expectation you will change your mind
    and come to hold his position. This is, says Griffin, a "Performative
    Self-contradiction.") Epicurus seems to have collected that idea into a
    very few words.

    65. "It is pointless for a man to pray to the gods for that which he has
    the power to obtain for himself."

    (God helps him who helps himself? My mother used to say this to my
    brother, Paul, and I often. Perhaps she was an Epicurean?)

    In his "Letter to Menoeceus," he writes:

    "... the elements of a right life. First believe that God is a living
    being immortal and blessed ... ."

    (Epicurus, living before Christ, and not a Hebrew, was still, in some
    sense, a religious person, and not an atheist.)

    >From his "Letter to Herodotus:"

    "... In the first place, Herodotus, you must understand what it is that
    words denote ... the primary significance of every term employed must be
    clearly seen... ."

    (The principle of clear definitions -- agreed to by everyone involved.)

    "... we are bound to believe that in the sky revolutions, solstices,
    risings and settings, and the like, take place without the ministration
    or command, either now or in the future, of any being who at the same
    time enjoys perfect bliss along with immortality.."

    (Ascribe nothing to the gods. Methodological Atheism or methodological
    naturalism).

    "... to arrive at accurate knowledge of the cause of things of most
    moment is the business of natural science ... ."

    (Defining what natural science is about in a very few words).

    "If then we think that an event could happen in one or other particular
    way out of several, we shall be as tranquil ... ."

    (Understanding that there may be many different theories all of which
    "explain" the same facts).

    >From his "Letter to Pythocles:"

    "... one must not be so much in love with the explanation by a single way
    as wrongly to reject all the others from ignorance of what can, and what
    cannot, be within human knowledge, and consequent longing to discover the
    undiscoverable."

    (Understanding that there MAY be things beyond the ken of science. And
    arguing that one ought not be so "in love" with his own explanation as to
    arbitrarily reject all others without giving them a fair hearing).

    "... let the regularity of their orbits be explained in the same way as
    certain ordinary incidents within our own experience; the divine nature
    must not on any account be adduced to explain this ... ."

    ("Ascribe nothing to the gods" again).

    "... there are several other ways in which thunderbolts may possibly be
    produced.
    Exclusion of myth is the sole condition necessary... ."

    ("Ascribe nothing to the gods" again. Also noting that multiple theories
    may be adduced to explain many events).

    John Burgeson, April 30, 2002
    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
            (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
             humor, cars, philosophy and much more)