Re: Questioning the Big Bang

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 09:25:41 EDT

    George wrote:

    > I figured this card would be played fairly soon.

    And I figured a response like this would soon follow. We know each other
    well.

    > In evaluating it note

    > 1) There is no empirical support at all for a cyclic model.

    Right. It is presented as disciplined speculation, no more -- a valid part
    of normal science.

    > 2) The statement "the Ultimate Reality is God-and-World" goes well
    > beyond the claim that the world exists eternally in dependence upon
    >God, which
    > is one way of interpreting _creatio ex nihilo_.

    Yes, it is a different proposition.

    > It removes any qualitative
    > distinction between God and the world, and thus, among other things, is
    > fundamental conflict with the First Commandment.

    As someone like Griffin uses this concept, God and World, though co-eternal,
    are ontologically/qualitatively different. I see no violation of the first
    commandment. So that red herring can be buried.

    Nonetheless it is indeed the case that the God/World relationship is
    conceived quite differently from the traditional, radical one-way dependence
    of world on God, as in the creatio ex nihilo formulation.

    In the Griffin-style approach, a) It is essential for God [i.e., it is
    part of God's essence] to be in (a loving) relationship to a World; b) it
    is essential for the World to have its being in God. The relationship is
    two-way, though not symmetrical.

    Howard Van Till