RE: Freedom of the will (was Re: Bear sacrifice)

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 13:32:41 EDT

    Hello George,

    My read on Pelagianism & semi-Pelagianism is NOT that they insist on human
    contribution, but on the denial of the necessity of grace.

    I quote the Council of Orange:

    CANON 6. If anyone says that God has mercy upon us when, apart from his

    grace, we believe, will, desire, strive, labor, pray, watch, study, seek,

    ask, or knock, but does not confess that it is by the infusion and

    inspiration of the Holy Spirit within us that we have the faith, the will,

    or the strength to do all these things as we ought; or if anyone makes the

    assistance of grace depend on the humility or obedience of man and does not

    agree that it is a gift of grace itself that we are obedient and humble, he

    contradicts the Apostle who says, "What have you that you did not receive?"

    (1 Cor. 4:7), and, "But by the grace of God I am what I am" (1 Cor. 15:10).

    CANON 23. Concerning the will of God and of man. Men do their own will

    and not the will of God when they do what displeases him; but when they

    follow their own will and comply with the will of God, however willingly

    they do so, yet it is his will by which what they will is both prepared and

    instructed.