RE: Freedom of the will (was Re: Bear sacrifice)

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 02:07:57 EDT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Robert Schneider
    To: asa@calvin.edu
    Sent: 4/26/2002 5:27 PM
    Subject: Freedom of the will (was Re: Bear sacrifice)

    <<<Hi, if you all will "bear" with me, I'll continue to stay off the
    original
    subject ("Bear sacrifice") and do what I love to do, zero in on a
    statement
    in an earlier post and question it. This time it is Adrian's assertion
    (below) that Augustine "stongly affirmed free will." I think that may
    have
    been true in his treatise on free will against the Manichaeans, but by
    the
    time he was wading in against Pelagius, I think he took a different
    tack. In the latter writings he took the position that the individual will
    is
    oriented either toward good or evil, and if the latter it is so oriented
    by the grace of God. >>>

    AT: Although it is true that Augustine shifted to astringer opredestinarian
    position later in his life becasue of Pelagius, he never gave up the
    dialectic between predestination and free will, as is evident in his later
    writings - Treatise on Gace and Free Will & Against Julian.

    <<< Robert Evans (_Pelagius: Inquiries and Reappraisals_,
    p.
    89) sums up Augustine's change in these words:

          "What we observe here is an instance of Augustine's shifting away
    from an image of man as an autonomous chooser among moral
    possibilities to an image of man as inescapably turned either toward
    or away from God and as turned toward God only through the power of the
    divine grace. The first image was relevant to his anti-Manichaean
    polemic.
    It is one of Augustine's weaknesses as a theologian that these
    images are never satisfactorily related to one another.">>>

    AT: See above.

    <<< Finally, I want to say that I think the notion of double
    predestination
    is there in Augustine, and was picked up by Acquinas. Calvin took the
    notion to its logical consequence.>>>

    AT: This is news to me. Augustine & Aquinas supporting double
    predestination? Can you please point me to the relevant works? Thanks!