Re: Freedom of the will (was Re: Bear sacrifice)

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 14:18:00 EDT

    Pelagius himself maintained that human beings always retain the
    *possibility* to not sin; he never claimed that human beings can by their
    own actions merit eternal life, and he would reject the notion that the
    first implies the second. He does tie creation and redemption together in
    that the gift of free will is a grace given in creation and the gift of
    justification is another grace given in baptism, whereby the sins of those
    baptised are freely forgiven. It is the same (creating, now redeeming) Word
    of God who cleanses the soul at baptism, that is also the very Word whose
    teaching and example (both also grace) help the soul to recognize the
    possibility of freely choosing the good and accept the guidance to do so.

         Pelagius differs fundamentally from the Augustinian tradition not only
    in his doctinre of grace, but also in his doctrine of faith. For Augustine
    grace is an irresistable gift, an infused power one receives willy-nilly,
    and so is faith. For Pelagius, grace cannot be thought to impose itself on
    man's will, for that would be a violation of the will; nor is faith imposed,
    but rather it arises from man's free response to the good news of salvation.
    There is little about the Holy Spirit in Pelagius' fragmentary writings, but
    (Evans) "so far as it goes it parallels in a striking way his language about
    grace. The Spirit shows us the will of God and makes plain the future glory
    so that we may desire heavenly things and not earthly." So, the Spirit is
    involved in the illumination of the power of the will to choose freely the
    good.

         Pelagius also held that we humans are justified by both faith and works.
    Righteousness is unthinkable without obedience to the moral precepts of
    Christ and the Apostles. When Paul said that we are "justified by faith
    apart from the works of the law," Pelagius interpreted Paul to refer to the
    ceremonial aspects of the law, not the works of righteousness spelled out in
    the law. In Evan's words, "The whole of the Christian life that is
    stretched out between baptism and the judgment is one in which Christians
    avail themselves of the grace of teaching and example; always exercising
    that freedom of choice which has been made effectual by grace, they obey the
    precepts of the gospel and so merit the rewards of the final kingdom of
    heaven."

         While one might speak in a semi-Pelagian manner that free will and grace
    work together, Pelagius is likely to say, that's not nuanced enough: free
    will is a gift of grace; and the will once restored to knowedge of its
    *possibility* to choose the good freely that was its gracious gift from the
    Creator, and responding to the other graces given by the Redeemer
    (justification, teaching and example), is now able to follow the path of
    righteousness to a Judgment that invites the believer ("Come, ye good and
    faithful servant") into the presence of God in eternal life.

    Grace and peace,
    Bob Schneider