The Holy Spirit guides -- was Bear sacrifice

From: JW Burgeson (hoss_radbourne@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 18:16:51 EDT

    Adrian writes: "But if one believes that the Holy Spirit guides the church
    in truth, then doctrines are more than just the personal conclusions of any
    one person in time. They have been discussed, debated, and finally accepted
    or rejected at the various councils and synods, under the guidance of the
    Holy Spirit."

    I, for one, do not believe that "the Holy Spirit NECESSARILY guides the
    church in truth."

    Were that so, we ould not have the history of the Augustana Conference in
    the mid 19th century, in which the southern part of the Presb church broke
    away from the main body because they could show from Scripture that not only
    was slavery "OK," but even that it was "God-ordained." There are other
    examples. In the PCUSA today a majority of us believe that, guided by the
    Holy Spirit, it is "God-ordained" that persons in a same-sex relationship
    are -- at the very least -- 2nd class citizens, and certainly not qualified
    for ordination. At the same time, a minority of us, also beieving that we
    are led by the Holy Spirit, see this much as almost all of us now see
    slavery and "Jim Crow" issues.

    Good grief -- why are there so many denominations? Are all wrong but one?
    Which one?

    Burgy