RE: Follow-up / men before Adam

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 15:15:43 EDT

    Hello Mike,

    Yes.

    > Life on earth
    > having existed for about 4 billion years?

    Probably true. I accept this tentatively and cautiously as the currect
    scientifc understanding.

    > All life now on
    > earth has descended
    > and evolved from a common ancestor?

    I accept this tentatively and cautiously as the currect scientifc
    understanding, but with less confidence than the above.

    > Anatomically modern man's
    > existence for
    > at some 100,000 years? Australia being continually inhabited
    > for the last
    > 30,000 years? North America being continually inhabited for
    > the last 15,000
    > years?

    Yes again, but with about the same degree of confidence as the one
    immediately above.

    > The fact that activities which Gen. 3 and 4 tell us
    > Adam and his
    > immediate descendants engaged in, like raising crops, herding
    > animals,
    > building cities and forging metals, did not take place
    > anywhere on earth more
    > than 10,000 years ago?

    Give or take a few thousand years. This one is still open to discussion. We
    cannot conclude something based on the _absence_ of evidence. Some of these
    activities may be older, for example, Morton has copper working dated around
    13000 year ago. We may find evidnec of older ones yet.