RE: A matter of trust?(Or why YEC persists)

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 10:05:18 EDT

      Dear Don,
      I think a problem here is that would be concordists tend to be far too
    quick to dismiss biblical scholars and theologians who spend a lifetime
    studying Near East literature and religion. It is they who are the experts
    in the field of Old Testament scholarship., just as Glenn and Keith are
    experts in geology and George and Burgey inter alia are experts in physics.
      The consensus among Old Testament experts is that mythological elements
    were incorporated into the creation accounts in Genesis and elsewhere.This
    consensus is at least as well established as is continental drift in geology
    and quantum mechanics in physics, so it is more than "mere
    supposition".There is an enormous literature on this, going back over a
    hundred years.You could start with the book I referenced, and then check the
    author's references.A solid online resource is

      http://www.hope.edu/academic/religion/bandstra/RTOT/RTOT.HTM

      There is an extensive bibliography on creation.

      I might add that your request for a percentage of fact/myth in the
    Pentateuch sounds like the requests of YECS , "Just show me an animal
    evolving, a jackalope or a half reptile, half bird, and THEN I'll believe in
    evolution".Unfortunately, it aint so simple. Do the research, then form your
    opinion.