RE: Oppressive YEC

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 20:47:36 EDT

    I have watched this exchange with interest.

    Guy wrote:
    >> > Please explain what exactly caused you to laugh?

    George replied:
    >> The suggestion that YECs are experts on "accepted scientific
    >methodology".

    Guy replied
    >I was suggesting that the majority of OECs, are not the experts
    >they think they are.

    So from Guy's reply we are to assume that experts are NOT those who actually
    perform the science experiements and publish them in peer-reviewed
    scientific journals and are indeed to be found among those who don't do
    these things.

    Interesting viewpoint. To follow this line of argument we can similarly
    conclude that:

    Doctors are NOT the experts in medicine they think they are.
    Car mechanics are NOT the experts in car repair they think they are.
    Accountants are NOT the experts in accounting for money that they think they
    are.
    Theologians are NOT the experts in theology that they think they are.

    and finally,

    Guy Blanchet is NOT the expert in who is an expert in scientific methodology
    that he thinks he is.

    By inversion, then I being an exploration geophysicist am NOT the expert in
    exploration geophysics that I think I am and thus I am an expert in
    everything else! Thanks Guy for proving what I already knew about myself!
    You should teach a course in logic. Your version is much more flexible than
    that crud I learned in school. :-)

    personal stories of struggle