Re: A Real Answer (was Re: Bear sacrifice)

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 11:02:52 EDT

    Jim,

    I think it is merely simple humility to realize that
    there are limits to any individual's knowledge and
    understanding and human knowledge and understanding in
    general.

    In complex things, reasonable people may differ. I
    don't think anyone has to be a seminarian to be a
    scholar of Aramaic or Attic Greek, but being a scholar
    of those languages would help in understanding the
    meaning of Genesis 1. The fact that one relies on
    someone else's translation (which involves
    interpretation) -- and the fact that there are
    significant ambiguities in our knowledge of the
    languages and differences in English translations --
    should give us pause before relying on what may be
    very technical or precise meanings of English words in
    doing an exegesis of any biblical text.

    In complex matters of interpretation, reasonable minds
    may differ and understanding involves knowing why
    people differ rather than being dismissive of the
    difference. This is why the early Church held
    periodic ecumenical councils to discuss and attempt to
    iron out differences within the Church in
    interpretation of the canon of the bible, which itself
    was adopted by one such of those councils. The
    Eastern Orthodox Church still maintains this
    ecumenical, consensus driven approach to
    interpretation, as opposed to the (from their
    perspective) Bishop of Rome's (Pope's) claim to
    definitive interpretation and opposed to the (from
    their perspective) atomistic and individualistic
    interpretation of protestantism. Indeed, the kind of
    nastiness being evinced in this discussion is why the
    Eastern Orthodox Church sees protestantism as anarchy
    and self-defeating. Sometimes, I am inclined to agree
    with them on that point.

    The point is God is not a masochist, but commends us
    to be wise as serpents and trusting as children and to
    humbly approach our discussions of God. I support
    your urging open mindedness, but you should practice
    it as well. Wisdom often comes from knowing what you
    do not know.

    Peace,