RE: A matter of trust?(Or why YEC persists)

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 21:08:40 EDT

        Comments below
      -----Original Message-----
      From: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu [mailto:asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu]On
    Behalf Of george murphy
      Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 11:15 AM
      To: Robert Schneider
      Cc: Shuan Rose; asa@calvin.edu
      Subject: Re: A matter of trust?(Or why YEC persists)

      Robert Schneider wrote:
        Dear Shuan, I agree that a theology of creation that is explicitly
    biblical in expression is needed, but I would add to that the fact that many
    good theological expositions are not larded with references to passages of
    Scripture, and this is true of recent creation theologies; I would include
    Howard Van Till's among them. Outside of ASA members, quite a few people
    are working on theologies of creation. One of the interesting developments
    to my mind is the recovery of a Trinitarian theology of creation. Among
    evangelicals Jurgen Moltmann has done this, in _God in Creation_ and other
    writings; among Roman Catholics Denis Edwards, a disciple of Karl Rahner, in
    _The God of Evolution: A Trinitarian Theology. Others working in or writing
    on theology of creation and evolution include Nancey Murphy, Arthur
    Peacocke, Ted Peters, Wolfhart Pannenberg, Ian Barbour, and there are
    several others. There are quite a few people representating a variety of
    Catholic, Anglican, and Protestant (including evangelical) perspectives.
    I'm aware of how important it is for Christians to see the Bible in their
    theologies, and especially for those Christians who want you to "show me
    where it is in the Bible." But theology is rational reflection on the
    content of revelation, and it always goes beyond the biblical text to
    develop its implications in the light of nature and human experience. Part
    of the task is not only to help Christian learn how to read and interpret
    the Bible intelligently, but to learn and understand what role theology
    plays in the articulation of faith. I think there are many Christians who
    love and depend on the Bible but have hardly even a rudimentary knowledge
    and understanding of theology. That vacuum can lead to great
    misunderstandings or ignorances of basic Christian doctrine. I was
    astonished, for example, to discover how many of the conservative and
    fundamentalist college students in my "Science and Faith" course, most of
    whom would have classified themselves as YECs, were Gnostics (though they
    didn't know it). I had to introduce them to the doctrine of the Incarnation
    and its implications for understanding Christ and creation, because it was
    clear many of them had no real grasp of it. I think YEC flourishes
    because its proponents are very effective at marketing their product and
    putting down the product they are trying to outsell. There are a lot of
    voices who speak a different language of God and creation, and we who speak
    this language need to find ways to get the message out without playing their
    game.

        Dear Bob,
        Thanks for the info. I would add Bernard Anderson' book , Creation in
    the Old Testament, to the list of good creation theologies . ( See
    http://theologytoday.ptsem.edu/jul1985/v42-2-booknotes2.htm for a review).
        You are certainly right that a major problem , especially in evangelical
    churches, is that folks practice a naive bibliolatry.They will say, " Just
    give me the Word of God( in the King James Version-The version that Jesus
    used). I don't need any of that theological stuff". Of course, as you have
    found out, that way lies error.
        It does seem that YECs have won the marketing game hands down. One
    reason is of course that their message is crude and simplistic("God said it,
    I believe it, that settles it". ) Also their way of mischaracterizing their
    opponents ("From goo to you by way of the zoo" is Gish's pithy definition of
    evolution.) The sophisticated treatments by Moltmann et al., are not going
    to get very far among folks used to that level of "exposition", if thats the
    word!

              It seems to me that the problems represented by YECs arise not
    simply from the use of scripture but from an overemphasis on Gen.1-3 and, in
    particular, insistence on starting with those chapters. If we start there,
    especially in a cultural climate so heavily influenced by naive ideas about
    the Bible, then our ideas about creation will congeal around all the old
    familiar notions. At best we'll become concordists & at worst YECs. If we
    read other texts that are relevant to creation first, and if we become aware
    from the whole of scripture of the variety of literary types that the Bible
    contains, then we can go back to the Genesis accounts and avoid those
    pitfalls. This is why in _The Trademark of God_ I started with the exodus &
    Second Isaiah & then moved to Genesis.

    Shalom,

    George

       Dear George,
      I agree that we have to get out of Genesis 1 to 3. Witness, for example,
    the earnest but (to me) unedifying debate about the Bulls and the Bears.I
    have great respect for the participants, but I think the search for a good
    creation theology needs to begin elsewhere. There is a variety of
    literature on creation and indeed differing ideas of creation in the
    Bible.Lets explore ideas of creation means in the Psalms., say:

      Yet God my King is from of old, working salvation in the midst of the
    earth. 13Thou didst divide the sea by thy might; thou didst break the heads
    of the dragons on the waters. 14Thou didst crush the heads of Leviathan,
    thou didst give him as food for the creatures of the wilderness. 15Thou
    didst cleave open springs and brooks; thou didst dry up ever-flowing
    streams. 16Thine is the day, thine also the night; thou hast established the
    luminaries and the sun. 17Thou hast fixed all the bounds of the earth; thou
    hast made summer and winter. (Psalms 74:12-17)

       I have a feeling that there will be few calls for a concordist
    interpretation of this passage!
      George L. Murphy
      http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/
      "The Science-Theology Interface"