Farm-type animal sacrifice

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 22:59:37 EDT

    Gotta say one more thing as I just recalled this.

    Dick Wrote:

    >Absolutely! The world was populated in the millions 7,000 years ago. But
    >my point has been that Adam is historical, Adam appeared long after the
    >human race got its start, Adam has a place we can identify. And
    >sacrificing
    >farm-type animals as a covering for sin, or an offering to God (or gods),
    >seems to have commenced in the same region at the same time.

    I must note that farm-type animal sacrifice goes way back. Taurobolism, the
    ritual slaying of a bull goes way, way back.

    “Bulls also played an important role in the religious ceremonies of the
    Iberian tribes living in Spain in prehistoric times. The origins of the
    plaza de toros (bullring) are probably not the Roman amphitheatres but
    rather the Celtic-Iberian temples where those ceremonies were held. Near
    Numancia in the province of Soria one of them has survived, and it is
    supposed that bulls were sacrificed to the gods there.”
    http://www.donquijote.org/spain/bullfight/
    accessed 4-22-02

    Now, we go to the Solutrean of Spain, 20,000 years ago and we see a cave
    painting of a bull being sacrificed in precisely this fashion.

    "On a flat panel, behind this rock throne, a
    prehistoric artist with some personality has painted a
    spirited, defiant bull in profile. The painter had an
    individual style, a sort of prehistoric Rubens, because his
    undulant baroque line is repeated nowhere else in
    Paleolithic art. The bull's back swell with a curved hump
    of muscle. His chest is massive, his shoulders thick,
    bulging. His head thrusts forward, covered by a jutting
    cowl of fur. A single horn flips up and forward from behind
    the tiny dot of his eye.
    "The scrolling and curving style of this bull gives
    him a sensuous power, heavy and thickset. He's full of male
    energy.
    "He appears to be wounded, as if he is the prototype
    of a bull in a Spanish bullring. From his back, what looks
    like a pica in a Spanish bullfight stands erect. It's
    really just a dark vertical line, but it looks for all the
    world as though this bull might have been stabbed by some
    daring early hunter. Or some powerful Paleolithic shaman.
    "The bull's obviously aggravated. He has strong narrow
    hips, and his tail's raised, as if ready to charge.
    "Jose Maria Ceballo, affectionately called Chema, is
    the encargardo, or supervisor, of the archaeological caves
    of the province of Cantabria. He and I spend many
    afternoons in La Pasiega, as well as all the other caves in
    the region. He's incredibly social and funny, a loquacious,
    bearded man. He loves dirty jokes, which he's always
    telling me to test my Spanish, and he knocks down
    manchados--a white wine 'stained' with a splash of red-- as
    he tells stories before lunch. He thinks it's the best way
    to see prehistoric art in the afternoon. The raised tail,
    he tells me, means the bull's 'macho' Chema says, Sexually
    excited.
    "In a sort of triumphant gesture, Chema points to a
    distinct penis,' 'Lo ves, Carlos?' Do you see it?
    "The sexual and the venatic impulse come together in this
    prehistoric image."
     Charles Bergman, Orion's Legacy (New York: Dutton, 1996), p. 32-33

    Animal sacrifice 18,000 BC. Dick, how do you change your view now to avoid
    an animal now kept on farms not indicating religious sacrifice prior to 7000
    BC? Afterall, the Jews sacrificed bulls for religion, why doesn't this
    count?

    personal stories of struggle