RE: A matter of trust?

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 01:17:37 EDT

    It is if the fish is living in very shallow water and doesn't need it as
    much for steering while swimming as he does for pushing himself forward to
    catch prey.

    >"...(it) lived in shallow water...and would thrust out to grab its prey. It
    >used its fins to push against the sediment to add to its speed." This might
    >easily be mistaken for an 'eye-witness' account of typical Devonian
    >activity. Shouldn't such details be declared as guesses?

    No because geologists can tell shallow water sediments from deepwater
    sediments. Ichthyostega is found in freshwater sediments.

    Just so we don't get into the same silly doubting games that we are into
    with animal sacrifice, freshwater sediments exhibit chemical differences
    from marine waters, occasionally have desciccation cracks, and burrows of
    animals which are not found in the ocean.

    >(3) And again, surely predation is a two-way matter. The reality must also
    >involve "How can I avoid being eaten?" You have already implied that fin
    >function is reduced in Ichthyostega. Where, therefore, is the selective
    >advantage that this creature has over the fish that share its environment?

    Maybe it wasn't eaing fish. Maybe it was eathing tiny swimming fish or
    insects.

    >(4) On your web page I observe you have inserted an estimate of the time
    >that has elapsed since each of the creatures you describe lived. The
    >impression created is that this time sequence was derived independently of
    >the alleged evolutionary sequence. Is this indeed so?

    Yes, it is derived via radioactive dating. It has nothing to do with the
    evolutionary sequence.

    >(5) I believe the logic of my original observation stands, and I suggest
    >that it is therefore appropriate that we look for a more reasonable
    >interpretation of the fossil evidence. How would you respond to my belief
    >that the creatures you describe lived contemporaneously in the earth's
    >waters some 6000 years ago - each having been created independently as a
    >distinct 'kind'?

    I would think you are very poorly informed and have a great deal of wishful
    thinking.

    >You may already have gathered that my leanings toward YEC derive from
    >biblical considerations more than any other.

    Which is why evidence means nothing to you. And if it doesn't mean much, why
    should we pretend to discuss it?

    personal stories of struggle