Re: Fair Fight

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 11:08:37 EDT

    The ethical requirement that I was referring to
    applies when you are submitting a legal brief to a
    court. In a legal brief, you have to disclose any
    precedent contrary to your legal position. If you do
    not, that is an ethical violation.

    There are other requirements where lawyers have to
    provide evidence for the other side. For example,
    prosecutors have an ethical obligation to provide any
    exculpatory evidence to the defense. Even the
    defense, which for obvious reasons (constitutional
    rights, burden of proof, etc.), does not have an
    ethical obligation to provide names of witnesses or
    testimony that can help convict the defendant, still
    has an obligation not to withhold material evidence of
    a crime. So, contrary to your popular misconception
    there are requirements on lawyers to provide evidence
    or argument contrary to their position.

    There are lots of other ethical obligations imposed
    upon lawyers that have the same effect, such as candor
    before a tribunal (can't lie to or deceive a court),
    not suborning perjury (can't knowingly let anyone lie
    under oath), etc. Likewise, dishonest conduct outside
    the profession of law reflects on character and could
    be grounds for disbarment. So, despite the popular
    misperception to the contrary, there are significant
    limits to zealous advocacy by lawyers.