Re: Claims Intelligent Design Scientists Author Bibliography Papers

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 17:55:00 EDT

    Surely this is the whole problem with ID as they try to portray the age of the earth as an unimportant issue. By doing that they play right into the hands of YEC because to be ambivalent on the age of the earth makes abrupt appearance seem very likely.

    As Nancy Pearcey wrote, 'For too long, opponents of naturalistic evolution have let themselves be divided and conquered over subsidiary issues like the age of the earth'. Like Pearcey, who is a Young Earth Creationist, most intelligent designers simply ignore issues of age as irrelevant. This can be seen in many books, articles and websites devoted to Intelligent Design. The issue of the age of the earth and the succession of life through the 4.6 billion years of time clearly has an effect on how one will conceive how any life form will have come into being. If the aeons of geological time are correct, and Pearcy, Nelson and Wise consider that to be wrong, then lifeforms have appeared during time and have gradually changed either through an outside force or naturally. If the earth is only 10,000years old, then there is insufficient time for changes through natural means and thus it is reasonable to hold the abrupt appearance of species so poetically expressed by Milton;The grassy clods now calved, now half appeared

    The tawny lion, pawing to get free

    His hinder parts, then springs as broke from bonds,

    And rampant shakes his brinded mane;Paradise Lost; Book VII, l463-6.

    I cannot see how you can discuss design in such an ahistorical way

    Michael