Re: cosmology & polygamy

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 13:13:36 EDT

    Howard,

    So is there anything special about the Bible that sets it apart from,
    say, your writings, or the reflections/experiences of the Christian
    community today. If so, what is it?

    Also, don't forget the first part of that 2 Timothy 3 passage that
    you quote--"all scripture is God-breathed". What does that mean? Is
    there a qualitative difference between "scripture" and other writings
    on the basis of this? You refer to a "humanly-crafted theory about
    the divine inspiration of the canon"--of course, this is a question
    begging reference. The scriptures themselves speak of this
    inspiration--if the scriptures are God-breathed, then this
    "humanly-crafted theory" isn't so far removed from a "God-crafted
    theory".

    I'm finding the flow of this discussion fascinating (and, of
    course--none of this is new). We are troubled by the contradictions
    between the finding of science and certain interpretations of
    scripture. A desire (a good desire in my opinion) to take seriously
    the findings of modern science results in the near abandonment of
    Biblical inspiration (in any traditional sense) and supernaturalism
    in general (we get re-enchantment instead). This, indeed, is a funny
    hermeneutic--that such a dominant role to interpreting the Bible
    should be given to making it compatible to modernity (an
    Enlightenment rooted modernity at that).

    While I'm out punching, let me just comment that I think that "both
    sides" of this discussion suffer from an unwillingness to have lose
    ends in their system.
    Some people twist science and history to make their system work. But
    the end result is a system free of contradictions, uncertainties, and
    gray areas. Others deny what the Bible says about itself and the
    supernatural in order to get rid of the lose ends. Again, they gain a
    system free of contradictions, uncertainties, and gray areas. I'm
    sure I do the same thing--we all need a certain amount of coherence
    in our thinking. But, as a Christian, I have long ago consented to
    many such things: the Trinity, the Incarnation, divine sovereignty
    vs. human responsibility and free-will, a fully human and fully
    divine Scripture, evil/theodicy resolved in the cross and in the
    eschaton, etc.

    TG

    --
    Fort Collins, Colorado  80523