Re: Griffin and the nature of nature

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 11:26:10 EST

    "Howard J. Van Till" wrote:

    > Actually Griffin maintains rather strong reasons for rejecting
    > creation ex nihilo. He sees ex nihilo as the grounding for
    > supernatural (coercive) intervention. Remember, the concept of
    > "coercive" action applies to forcible action on something that already
    > has its specific form of being, not to the act of
    > selecting/actualizing the whole system (within the limits of
    > applicable metaphysical principles).

            I think there are good arguments for creatio ex nihilo, but want
    to shift to a related & even more fundamental issue, that of
    justification.
            This is the heart of the theology of the Reformation. (I'm
    approaching this from a Lutheran standpoint but think a great deal would
    be echoed by Reformed Christians.) "The chief article of Christian
    doctrine", "the article by which the church stands or falls is that we
    are justified by God, for Christ's sake, absolutely without any
    cooperation or contribution on our part. "Synergism", the idea that
    sinners "work with" God to accomplish their justification, is the
    dirtiest word in the classical Lutheran vocabulary. Even the faith by
    which Christ is accepted is God's work - I Cor.12:3. (That's where
    Lutherans have problems with some of the descision theology of
    Evangelicalism.)
            & this seems to me to be in considerable tension with process
    views of God's action. The doctrine of justification says that God is
    the sole cause, not just one cause among others, of justification.
    While God does work through the means of grace to bring about
    conversion, justification is not a matter of God persuading a human
    agent to do something.
            & that's where the tie with cen comes in, because that is
    fundamentally the claim that the world depends for its existence
    entirely on God. Paul makes the connection in Romans 4: God is the one
    "who justifies the ungodly" (v.5) & "who gives life to the dead and
    calls into existence the things that do not exist."

    Shalom,
    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/