Griffin and the nature of nature

From: Ted Davis (tdavis@messiah.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 10:20:40 EST

    I invited Howard to correct me, concerning Griffin's understanding of the
    meaning of creation. And he did, by quoting this passage, from one of
    Griffin's works that I have not studied (he's pretty prolific, and I have
    not made it my life's work to follow his):

    "In the first instant of the creation of a particular universe,
    accordingly,
    divine persuasion could produce quasi-coercive effects. A divine spirit,
    brooding over the chaos, would only have to think "Let there be X!" (with
    standing for the complex, interconnected set of contingent principles
    embodied in our world at the outset, constituting its fine tuning). From
    then on, however, the divine persuasive activity would always face
    competition from the power embodied in the habits reflecting these
    contingent principles, so that divine persuasion would never again, as
    long
    as this world exists, be able to guarantee quasi-coercive results. In this
    way, process theism, while maintaining that God's agency in our universe
    is
    always persuasive, can nevertheless account for the remarkable contingent
    order on which our particular universe is based." Reenchantment, p. 218.

    This is fascinating, for at first glance it might appear that Griffin has
    broken the old process rule that God does not create ex nihilo, a rule that
    I think Ian Barbour may even be rethinking, though I don't want to get into
    that right now. Certainly it is more than I expected Griffin to say, and I
    have long held myself that genuine contingency in nature *requires* coercive
    divine power.

    In fact I still hold that position, and I take the passage above to be
    evidence that Griffin is pushing the envelope of his own view--that's meant
    as a friendly comment, not a harsh criticism, b/c we all have to push the
    envelope from time to time. Let's see exactly what I mean. First of all,
    Griffin clearly accepts the evidence for genuine contingency in nature, as
    seen for example in cosmic fine tuning. This is in itself significant, for
    there has been a tendency until fairly recently for process thinkers to
    downplay or ignore the "fact" of the big bang (if I may call it that, as I
    think one might). Twenty years ago, one might have had the impression that
    process thinkers tried awfully hard to be "scientific" in their thinking, in
    that they fully accepted biological evolution; but at the same time, they
    tried awfully hard to avoid dealing with the implications of having a
    universe with a finite age, full of evidence suggesting fine tuning. (One
    might say that they have been the mirror image of the ID approach.) I would
    agree that this is changing, and I am actually quite interested to see what
    effect this will ultimately have on the position.

    Next let's look at this sentence: "A divine spirit, brooding over the
    chaos, would only have to think "Let there be X!" (with X standing for the
    complex, interconnected set of contingent principles embodied in our world
    at the outset, constituting its fine tuning)." I call attention here to the
    words "only" and "at the outset." A divine spirit would "only" have to
    think about order, and somehow it's imposed on--forgive me, that's too
    coercive--and somehow it's, well, somehow it becomes a "set of contingent
    principles embodied in our world at the outset." I think it's fair to say
    at this point, that this sounds suspiciously like creatio ex nihilo, at
    least it sounds pretty coercive to me. To embody certain principles in our
    world, indeed certain *contingent* principles in our world, surely does
    suggest that God is determining the nature of nature. Apparently this
    happened without the resistance of "matter," or whatever we call that
    primordial stuff--and again, I think this sounds suspiciously like creatio
    ex nihilo.

    OK, so this "persuasive" activity, as Griffin still wants to call it,
    happens "at the outset" (presumably of our present universe). Here I want
    to ask, if God can be *this* persuasive, at least "at the outset," then why
    bother to insist (as I think Griffin still does, again I invite correction)
    that it is only our *present* universe that "began" at this point, "at the
    outset." Surely, I suggest, a God capable of this type of "persuasion"
    (which we dare not call "coercion") could also "persuade" the primordial
    stuff itself to exist. Or, to put it another way: if the primordial stuff
    is coeval with God, but does not really possess the properties of "nature as
    we know it" until God "persuades" it to become something specific "at the
    outset," then it isn't really very important in itself--that is, I see no
    role for it to play theologically, or physically (since it isn't the nature
    we know), and I wonder why Griffin doesn't simply want to "go the whole hog"
    and admit that God probably "persuaded" it to exist also, "at the outset."
    As with the many worlds hypothesis--which elsewhere I have called the
    functional equivalent of a God-of-the-gaps for atheists--this idea of a
    pre-existentent formless stuff, which God subsequently orders, seems to be
    just a convenient way to avoid the conclusion that God is "omnipotent" or
    something like that. (Those familiar with Timaeus will recognize that this
    is precisely how primordial matter functions for Plato, to avoid the
    conclusion that God is omnipotent.) It really seems to have no cash value
    here, since (as I have already argued) Griffin does seem to require a very
    great power on God's part to order nature "at the outset," and I do wonder
    what's the point. At least God is allowed to exert great power "at the
    outset," if not also later on.

    As for later on, Griffin clearly states that God is less persuasive, for
    matter (having been given its nature, my language) is now somewhat
    recalcitrant. Griffin does seem to avoid here the Platonic problem of
    having a recalcitrant matter from the get-go, and I applaud this, and I am
    also very sympathetic with various theologies of self-limitation on God's
    part, once the world has been given existence of a certain kind. However,
    my own theological persuasion (we seem to be using this word quite a bit)
    aligns with that of Ted Peters, whose article about the creation and
    resurrection (in Russell, ed., Physics, Philosophy, and Theology) gives
    cogent reasons for linking belief in creatio ex nihilo (which I take to be a
    reasonable conclusion from science, as well as from theology) with belief in
    the resurrection. Indeed, he argues, the latter (in the Christian
    understanding, not the Jewish) came first and led to acceptance of the
    former. This is all to say that, I begin to think Christianly about the
    natural world by reflecting on the empty tomb and the glorified body of
    Jesus--without both of which, in my view, we would not be thinking
    Christianly about anything, since there would be no Christian church. In
    other words, I begin by accepting a profound miracle, a deep mystery, that
    opens the door for me to accept another profound miracle, a deep
    mystery--though one that seems justified scientifically, the miracle of the
    absolute origination of the world. What this means for me, I let Peters
    state (277): "What does it take to raise the dead? What does it take to
    consummate history into a new and everlasting kingdom? It takes mastery
    over the created order. It takes a loving Father who cares, but who is also
    a creator whose power is undisputed and unrivaled."

    Finally, let me turn these words back on Griffin. What does it take to
    "persuade" the primordial stuff to take on an "interconnected set of
    contingent principles embodied in our world at the outset, constituting its
    fine tuning"? It takes mastery over the created order. Sorry if this
    sounds too much like transcendence in the traditional sense, too much like
    "omnipotence" (sorry for the language, someone please give Whitehead an
    opportunity to leave the room). Even Griffin sees this, I suggest, when he
    admits that God's persuasion at the outset "could produce quasi-coercive
    effects."

    I respect David Griffin greatly--he knows this, we've had some
    conversations including a very lengthy talk, one-on-one over dinner.
    Indeed, when Howard asked me several months ago who I would recommend to
    present the case for process theism, Griffin was my answer, and my
    enthusiastic answer. I think I understand his reasons for rejecting
    "omnipotence," I am learning more about his brand of process theology, and I
    love the Christian love that I see emanating from him as both a thinker and
    a person (the world would be a better place if there were more David
    Grifiins). But when it comes to the doctrine of creation, *especially* but
    not solely as it intersects with what science tells us about the nature of
    nature, I find myself more and more convinced that classical theism is
    right.

    Indeed, when it comes to process theism, I am--shall we say--unpersuaded?

    Ted Davis