Re: Current Events

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 07:49:50 EST

    "Howard J. Van Till" wrote:

    > I had said:
    >

    > Griffin's position is (1) that God's action is
    > never coercive/overpowering (he rejects
    > supernaturalism because it demands a violation of
    > the very nature of God and the God/world
    > relationship), and (2) that God's action can
    > nonetheless be variable, within the limits of (1).
    > Hence, God responds to prayer, but not with action
    > in the category of supernatural (coercive
    > overpowering) intervention. I believe that his
    > position is also that non-coercive divine action
    > is an essential element in everything that
    > happens.
    >

    > George replied:
    >

    > But can God _withhold_ the non-coercive action so
    > that something _doesn't_ happen? Could he have kept the
    > powder from detonating in Oswald's gun, not by inserting a
    > supernatural thumb between the firing pin & the primer but
    > by not "persuading" the necessary chemical reactions to take
    > place?
    >
    > No, I think not.

    > If so, then God seems no less culpable than in traditional
    > doctrines of providence: He could have kept JFK from being
    > killed but didn't. If not, then God doesn't seem to have
    > much choice in what happens in the world.
    >
    > Limited choice only. The action of the world that is in relationship
    > to God must be authentic, not controlled by an external power.
    >
    > In correspondence with a process theologian recently I commented: "As
    > I understand you, you're saying: (1) love is essential to God, (2)
    > freedom is essential to creatures, (3) relationship to creatures is
    > essential to God, and (4) God's relationship to creatures, therefore,
    > is necessarily characterized by kenotic love that will not violate
    > any creaturely freedom."

    > He responded that I had correctly understood his position.
    That's the one I'm exploring here.

            One thing significantly missing from this list is anything about
    _God's_ freedom. & one consequence of that is that the use of the term
    kenotic is inappropriate. In its proper usage that stems from Phil.2:7
    it means that God voluntarily limits divine action. That is something
    quite different from the idea that God simply can't do some thing.
    Kenosis has become a popular term & it's understandable that process
    theologians would want to use it but in doing so they change the meaning
    of it.
            (& more is involved there than just word usage. This is
    symptomatic of a natural theology which has come loose from its moorings
    in any unique revelation & wants to be seen as a general expression of
    timeless truth.)
            Another point: In earlier writings you've spoken of creation as
    being "gifted by God from the outset with all of the form-producing
    capacities necessary ..." (S & CB 8, 1996) & similar things. You're
    going to have a problem saying anything like this in a process context.
    The difficulty is not just that there's no process "outset" but that the
    world & its capacities cannot be seen as the work of God alone. Thus
    God cannot have "gifted" creation with "all" of its form-producing
    capacities.

    Shalom,
    George

    George L. Murphy