Re: Current Events

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 18:44:49 EST

    "Howard J. Van Till" wrote:

    > From: george murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
    >

    > Do I understand you to say that God does not only not
    > intervene to stop volcanoes, H-bombs &c but that God cannot,
    > "as a consequence of the fundamental nature of God, the
    > world, and their relationship", keep from doing whatever it
    > is God does (persuade, cooperate &c) with natural processes
    > to enable them to bring about their consequences?
    >

    > Griffin's position is (1) that God's action is never
    > coercive/overpowering (he rejects supernaturalism because it demands a
    > violation of the very nature of God and the God/world relationship),
    > and (2) that God's action can nonetheless be variable, within the
    > limits of (1). Hence, God responds to prayer, but not with action in
    > the category of supernatural (coercive overpowering) intervention. I
    > believe that his position is also that non-coercive divine action is
    > an essential element in everything that happens.

            But can God _withhold_ the non-coercive action so that something
    _doesn't_ happen? Could he have kept the powder from detonating in
    Oswald's gun, not by inserting a supernatural thumb between the firing
    pin & the primer but by not "persuading" the necessary chemical
    reactions to take place?
            If so, then God seems no less culpable than in traditional
    doctrines of providence: He could have kept JFK from being killed but
    didn't. If not, then God doesn't seem to have much choice in what
    happens in the world.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy