Re: Current Events

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 06:59:08 EST

    From: george murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>

           Do I understand you to say that God does not only not intervene to
    stop volcanoes, H-bombs &c but that God cannot, "as a consequence of the
    fundamental nature of God, the world, and their relationship", keep from
    doing whatever it is God does (persuade, cooperate &c) with natural
    processes to enable them to bring about their consequences?

    Griffin's position is (1) that God's action is never coercive/overpowering
    (he rejects supernaturalism because it demands a violation of the very
    nature of God and the God/world relationship), and (2) that God's action can
    nonetheless be variable, within the limits of (1). Hence, God responds to
    prayer, but not with action in the category of supernatural (coercive
    overpowering) intervention. I believe that his position is also that
    non-coercive divine action is an essential element in everything that
    happens.

    Howard