Re: Current Events

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 17:43:49 EST

    I had said:

    > The question is, Did God have a choice in setting those principles [by which
    things exist and
    > function] , or is God bound by God's own being and the nature of the God/world
    relationship?

    Dave replied:

    > This strikes me as a nonsense question.

    hvt: "The first thing I note from the quotation from [Dave] is that its
    language is emotionally loaded." :)

    > Of course God is consistent with
    > his own being. But "the nature of the God/world relationship" suggests that
    > the Eternal was constrained by the temporal. In other words, it fits the
    > notion of pantheism or panentheism, not the notion of theism.

    Consider three concepts of what constitutes "Ultimate Reality":

    1. Traditional Christian Theism: UR = God alone, no World. (It is not
    essential to God to be in relationship to a World; the existence of a World
    is optional to God. Hence, creatio ex nihilo.)

    2. Maximal (or ontological) Naturalism: UR = World alone, no God. (The
    World is self-existent and needs no relationship to God for its being.
    Hence, no creation.)

    3. Panentheism [briefly stated: the world is in God, but God is more than
    the world] :
     UR = God + World (It is essential to God to be in relationship to a World;
    in order for a world to have being it must be in relationship to God; the
    relationship need not be symmetric, but neither could be what it is without
    the other).

    Note that for panentheism, some form of World (not necessarily this
    particular universe, which may be only one of many possible worlds to which
    God could be related) is always present within God. This particular world
    may be "temporal" but the larger sense of "World" need not be. Given that
    possibility, it appears to me that the problem of the Eternal being
    constrained by the mere temporal disappears. It also suggest an answer to
    the question, What was God doing before the Big-Bang (the temporal beginning
    of this particular universe)?

    Dave again:

    > I may take an
    > analogy from some current cosmological theories, that ours is only one of
    > an infinite number of universes. On this view, there is no constraint that
    > all the universes observe the same physical laws. Similarly, God could have
    > made a different type of universe, one with different principles--and
    > perhaps has. He is sovereign. Put a different way, what determines God and
    > his will? Only himself. Otherwise he would not be the Creator.

    If I understand correctly, panentheism, although it rejects creatio ex
    nihilo, nonetheless retains the concept of God as Creator in the sense of
    God choosing and maintaining the 'being' of this particular universe.

    On a related matter Dave asks:

    > Is gravity coercive? It certainly does not give me any choice if I am not
    > adequately supported, and it does not allow me to change my weight except
    > by finding a different gravitational field. Is my need for air, food and
    > water coercive? Or is this something that Satan introduced because God
    > would not be that stiff?

    In the original context of this discussion, the term "coercive" denoted the
    idea of a transcendent God, by supernatural intervention, overpowering a
    creature (thereby coercing it to behave in a manner inconsistent with its
    being). Gravity is an interaction between two creaturely entities, each of
    which is acting in a manner entirely consistent with its creaturely being.
    That makes comparisons of this sort difficult.

    Howard