Re: Current Events

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 11:19:05 EST

    Keith Miller wrote:

    >I agree that human sin has been the source of great ecological destruction,
    >and has greatly increases the "hazard" of natural hazards. List members
    >might be interested in my recent Perspectives article "Natural hazards:
    >Challenges to the creation mandate of dominion?" (PSCF, vol.53, no.3,
    >p.184-187).

    Keith's article is on the web at
    http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2001/PSCF9-01Miller2.html

    >However, the death and suffering which is an integral part of God's
    >creation is a reality that must be dealt with on its own terms. This
    >aspect of "natural evil" is not easily accomodated by appeals to human sin.

    In my mind, a traditional theology of the fall and curse due to human
    sin goes a long way to explain the current (post-fall) problem of
    evil. Also, I believe that we must distinguish between human death
    and suffering and non-human death and "suffering". I would want to
    say that death and "suffering" of non-humans is not "evil". It is
    part of the goodness of God's creation. (Otherwise we get into all
    sorts of problem with death before the fall.) This issue was, I
    think, at the heart of Darwin's own struggles with God's role in
    evolution.

    Additionally, I think it's helpful, although I haven't labored to
    draw this out completely in my own thinking, to distinguish between
    different kinds of "death" perhaps even with respect to humans. I
    have heard it argued by some that even physical human aging and death
    was a normal part of creation and that after death there is some sort
    of eschatological glorification unto eternal life. Sin turned that
    process into the ugly and suffering-filled process that we know it to
    be now. The Heidelberg Catechism, in a slightly different but similar
    context, asks the question, as believers, why must we die. The answer
    is that death is our entrance into glory. Perhaps the same idea
    existed in the pre-fall state. Anyway, I'm not ready to put my
    imprimatur on this idea but it is an interesting thought.

    TG

    --
    Fort Collins, Colorado  80523