RE: Brachiators On Our family Tree? (Common ancestry - direct evidence?)

From: R. Joel Duff (rjduff@uakron.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 15:07:46 EST

    Actually, I believe the 99% is overstated. I think it is based more on
    DNA-DNA hybridization data than DNA sequence data. The genomes contain
    large quantities of repetative DNA which are similar, among the coding
    sequences the sequence may be 99% the same BUT among non-coding (which
    represents some 95% of the genome, the % similarity is almost certainly well
    below 99%. So if you are speaking of comparing the whole genome at the
    nucleotide level I would suspect the number is well below 99% may be 90-95%
    similar. I'm sure that some of this data is out there now. I would agree
    that the 99% needs to be qualified when it is used.
    Joel Duff