science of angels

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 17:08:29 EST

    (Hopefully reasonably on topic and before Dr. Collins)

    The only legitimate writing on angels that I know of that might be regarded as somewhat scientific comes from C.S. Lewis' space trilogy. Some speculation on their relationship to our physical experience, and on the nature of our perception of them, occurs here and there throughout the three books, but I think there was a somewhat concentrated discussion in the appendix-like section at the end of Out of the Silent Planet.

    I use the word legitimate principally to contrast with a Journal of Irreproducible Results paper that claimed to attempt using angels rather than lab rats in mazes. Tendencies to go through the walls and difficulty in finding a suitable reward for the end of the maze were some of the problems reported.

    One of Zechariah's visions featured two women with wings like those of a stork. Perhaps some of the popular portrayal of angels stems from that. However, as Lewis noted, Biblical angels have to reassure the people they visit with "Fear not", whereas the popular images seem more likely to say "there, there, dear."

        Dr. David Campbell
        Old Seashells
        46860 Hilton Dr #1113
        Lexington Park MD 20653 USA
        bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at Droigate Spa