Re: What are the odds?....Or, a great and Mighty God

From: Troy Elliott Eckhardt (spamfilter@BizTaxPros.com)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 13:03:01 EST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Howard J. Van Till" <hvantill@novagate.com>
    To: "Troy Elliott Eckhardt" <spamfilter@biztaxpros.com>; "Don Perrett"
    <don.perrett@verizon.net>; "Asa@Calvin. Edu" <asa@calvin.edu>

    > Bottom line: God, unless you act in conformity to MY expectations I will
    > close my mind and heart to you.

    My expectations of a perfect God and his eternal word are perfection, I do
    not think this is unusual. I have closed neither my heart nor mind to God
    and his word. I just won't idolize science.

    > Bottom line: The fundamental reason for holding to the humanly-crafted
    > doctrine of biblical inerrancy is the equally human lust for religious
    > certainty (final authority). By idolizing the text as inerrant & certain,
    > need not waste my life in searching for a more intimate awareness of God's
    > presence or a more profound understanding of what is Sacred.

    Humanly-crafted doctrine of biblical inerrancy?
    Human lust for...certainty?

    If the Bible is not God's authoritative word and if certainty is not the
    reward for studying it, why are we fooling ourselvs itno even trying to
    compare it with modern scientific thoeries? Why not look into what the
    tarot can tell us about the physical universe?

    >Bottom line: If the Bible does not meet MY standards, I shall declare it
    > worthless.

    "My" standards are God's perfection. Of what worth is a volume of Greek
    mythology in the study of science? Just about the same worth as the
    scripture holds if it is not God's pure and perfect word.