Re: request

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 09:47:05 EST

    Ted,

    It might be "instructive" to see how Francis Collins has thought
    about the origins questions himself. Not that he would necessarily be
    an expert, but simply an illustration of how one prominent scientist
    who is also a Christian has dealt with some of these issues (if, of
    course, he is interested in sharing his views on these topics).

    As for the broader question of "noise" on this list, I'd encourage
    everyone to read the ASA statement of faith
    (http://www.asa3.org/ASA/faithASA.html). I do this not so much to
    enforce conformity, but to make sure everyone knows the character of
    the "organization". Thus, general views of scripture, Christian
    theology, the relationship between science and faith, etc. are
    outlined here.

    I'd also remind us all that there is a difference between a chat room
    and an email discussion group of the sort we have (or at least have
    traditionally had) here. To cut down on frivolous one-liners, some
    groups of which I'm a member restrict posts to 4 in any one 24-hour
    ("literal") period. While I have no plans to moderate in order to
    enforce such a rule, it may be productive for each contributor to
    personally live by such a rule.

    List manager,
    TG

    --