Re: ASA Perspective

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 20:30:34 EST

    Vernon Jenkins wrote:

    > George,
    >
    > Just a few points in response to your posting of 16 Mar:
    >
    > 1) You said, " 'Original sin' is no euphemism but a summary description of the fact that all
    > human beings start life in the condition that you describe." Clearly, we shall have to agree
    > to disagree re the substitution of "original sin" for "enemy of God, creature of evil
    > imaginations, deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked".

            You can disagree if you wish but I don't see what we're disagreeing about. I am not
    "substituting" original sin for "enemy of God" &c but using the term - as Christians have for
    ~1500 years - to speak of the fact that all human beings start out life as enemies of God &c. If
    you wish I can quote all the biblical statements about the character of sin every time the phrase
    is sued but that get's a little clumsy.

    > However, you seem to imply
    > that the situation changes when one becomes a Christian. Is it your understanding that these
    > biblical strictures cease to apply when we commit ourselves to Christ?

            The situation changes - cf. Ephesians 2:1-10 - though Christians continue to sin.

    > 2) I had said, "...as a physicist, you will know that the step from 'observation' to
    > 'interpretation' involves certain (usually unwritten) assumptions." You responded,
    > "Certainly. So point out the incorrect interpretations involved in radiometric dating which
    > lead to an age of ~4.5 x 10^9 years....Show what's wrong with the scientific argument." We
    > were speaking of _assumptions_. And you agreed that such estimates of age rest on assumptions
    > - and hence call for a degree of _faith_. You will know better than I what might be wrong
    > with the scientific argument here. Is it really faultless?

            Sure there are assumptions about decay rates, abundances, formation of nuclei &c. They &
    the conclusions drawn from them hold together pretty well. As with any scientific theory, this
    is evaluated in terms of its results, not the _a priori_ plausibility of its initial hypotheses.
            But let me be blunt. Your argument that was based on humans being enemies of God &c has
    turned out to be a vague generality. You're unwilling to say anything specific about the age of
    the earth, just that maybe we're wrong. Maybe Caesar never lived & is just a collective illusion
    produced by sin. You can prove everything and nothing that way.

                                                                                Shalom,
                                                                                George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/