Francis S. Collins on ASA Discussion List March 24th

From: Dick Fischer (dickfischer@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 19:48:31 EST

    I have taken the liberty of inviting Francis Collins to join our discussion
    list to allow us to ask him questions about genetics, the human genome, and
    the like. He has agreed to sign on Sunday, March 24th and stay on "for a
    week."

    This comes from his biography: "Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D., is a
    physician-geneticist and the Director of the National Human Genome Research
    Institute, NIH. In that role he oversees a fifteen year project aimed at
    mapping and sequencing all of the human DNA by the year 2005. Many consider
    this the most important scientific undertaking of our time.

    Collins was raised on a small farm in Virginia and home-schooled until the
    sixth grade. He obtained his undergraduate degree in chemistry at the
    University of Virginia, and went on to obtain a Ph.D. in physical chemistry
    at Yale University. Recognizing that a revolution was beginning in
    molecular biology and genetics, he changed fields and enrolled in medical
    school at the University of North Carolina, where he encountered the field
    of medical genetics and knew he had found his dream. After a residency and
    chief residency in internal medicine in Chapel Hill, he returned to Yale
    for a fellowship in human genetics, where he worked on methods of crossing
    large stretches of DNA to identify disease genes. He continued to develop
    these ideas after joining the faculty at the University of Michigan in
    1984. This approach, for which he later coined the term positional cloning,
    has developed into a powerful component of modern molecular genetics, as it
    allows the identification of disease genes for almost any condition,
    without knowing ahead of time what the functional abnormality might be."

    Francis Collins has been an ASA member for twenty years. He is also on the
    ASA advisory council and is scheduled to speak at the annual meeting this
    year at Pepperdine University. (He also mentioned for those who live in
    the Washington DC area he is giving a talk as part of the C.S. Lewis
    Institute Wednesday Lecture series, entitled "Can a Geneticist be a
    Christian?" This will be on Wednesday April 3 at 7:30 PM at McLean
    (Virginia) Presbyterian Church.)

    This online discussion could be an excellent outreach opportunity for
    us. Those who are in Academics might invite your students to join the
    discussion list for this period. I would suggest the subject to be:
    "Francis Collins Online" for that time period, and I think we should avoid
    spinning off threads with various confusing titles so that our guest will
    know what is intended for him and what is just typical ASA traffic.

    This should be fun and give us a good opportunity to spread the word about ASA.

    Now, please, go and spread the word.

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago"