angels (was YEC)

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 10:44:15 EST

    Troy Elliott Eckhardt writes, "... Personally, I do not believe that the
    universe and the earth are only 10,000 years old, as many
    young Earth creationists believe. I draw this conclusion not only from the
    works of current cosmologists, but from the belief that the stones of fire
    upon which angels walked were the Earth, their abode from which they were
    outcast."

    To turn the current debate into another direction (a "faint hope clause"),
    what's the general view of the ASA correspondents on angels? I don't want
    to turn this into a debate on the maximum possible angel density on a small,
    domed, metal surface, but what we are to make of angles in general? Troy
    mentions that "the stones of fire upon which angles walked." If I were to
    take this in a literal sense, I end up with created beings that are subject
    to gravitational attraction (they "walked") and that have feet that can
    withstand high temperatures ("stones of fire").

    I've renamed this subject "angels." I'm sure that there are many books
    written on the subject and, if anybody can direct me to one or more that
    look at the concept of angels from a more scientific viewpoint (what must
    they be like, physically; do they obey "natural laws," what is the purpose
    of their wings (OK for low altitudes but do they have to have hollow bones,
    like the birds, and what do they do at higher altitudes, do they need to
    breathe, etc.). Frankly, like many topics, I've never given angels much
    thought as I've been more occupied with angles. ;-)

    Shalom,

    Chuck