RE: ASA Perspective

From: Woodward Norm Civ WRALC/TIEDM (Norm.Woodward@robins.af.mil)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 15:38:36 EST

    "At least this geocentrist guy is consistent enough to take his Biblicism to
    its logical end ..."

    If this geocentrist really hopes to use the two passages as his proof-texts,
    he is indeed on shaky ground, theologically at least...despite the rather
    stellar commentators he quoted.

    Using Eccl 1:5 would imply that anyone using the terms "sunrise" or
    "sunset," including most almanacs editors, TV weathermen, and, I dare say,
    astronomers, must be a geocentrist at heart. That would be a hard
    contention to support.

    Joshua 10 lends more creditability, not because it says the sun, and
    possibly the moon, stood still for "about a day." (As with Genesis 1, how is
    a day defined? Did they have hour-glasses back then?)

    One can not just say that the writer should have said "the earth stood
    still"; If the angular velocity of the earth decelerated to zero that
    quick, things would become much more exciting than just Joshua conquering
    yet another pagan tribe. If that doesn't seem exciting enough, consider the
    effects produced by the earth spinning backwards. (Isaiah 38:8).

    The inspired writers obviously reported the miracles at face value, which
    needs no aberrant celestial behavior in either case. It is well known that
    atmospheric conditions can cause apparent shifts in position of far away
    objects, causing a phenomenon called a "mirage." With a sufficient amount
    of "Divine Intervention," (sorry, any deists out there), these bodies could
    seem to stand still, or retrograde, over a significant length of time.

    While I would be the last to encourage the teaching that miracles could be
    the result of "lights and mirrors," I would suggest that the phenomena cited
    is much more likely the result of form than substance.

    Norm