Re: The flood and the deep - rambling thoughts

From: Dick Fischer (dickfischer@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 16:02:27 EST

    Troy wrote:

    >If the flood was literal and global ...

    More like literal and local.

    > (as I believe it was), where did the water come from?

    The overflowing Euphrates river from Spring rain.

    >Is our current geography a post-flood phenomenon, such that
    >melted ice caps could have covered all land?

    No.

    >Did the water come from "the deep?"

    The Hebrew word for "deep" can mean the sea, it can refer to
    subterranean waters, or it can mean the depths of a river. The
    Accadians and Sumerians spoke of any body of water as the
    "deep" including the irrigation canals which had some sort of
    watering apparatus they called "fountains." In the Atrahasis
    flood epic, the phrases "fountains of the deep" or "fountain of the
    deep" appear four times. In all instances, fountain(s) pertain to
    "fields," as in this example:

             Be[low] the fountain of the deep was stopped, [that the
                     flood rose not at the source].
             The field diminished [its fertility].

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago"