Re: Creationism in the UK

From: Michael Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 17:53:28 EST

    > Is British Creationism more daft than the American style?

    The debate broke out after the Guardian revealed last week that teachers at
    > a state-funded Gateshead school are promoting creationist ideas. Nigel
    > McQuoid, principal of Emmanuel City Technology College - who yesterday
    > refused to comment on the bishop's statement - argues that evolution is
    > merely a "faith position".
    >
    > But senior staff members have gone further, urging other teachers to
    > "counter the false doctrines" of evolution. The head of science, Steven
    > Layfield, offered tips on how to undermine evolutionary theories in a
    > lecture given at the college.

    This is part of Layfield's erudite lecture;
    Besides the obvious principle of decay bound up within the famous second law
    of thermodynamics, we may well consider invoking the historical fall event
    to explain effects such as lunar craters, certain pathological virus
    infections and various instances where nature now appears 'red in tooth and
    claw'.

    Does this mean that when Adam put indentations into the apple which Eve gave
    him, indentations also appeared on the moon?

    Michael