ASA Perspectives

From: Don Perrett (don.perrett@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 20:36:07 EST

    Being new to this forum, I would like to take a moment to pose a few honest
    and rhetorical questions.
    First let me say that the debate over YE and OE seems to be a core issue
    among most of us. We can continue to argue the points which support one view
    or the other, but I'm not sure if this helps. If we stand on scientific
    ground and try to convince someone that OE is reality we will not gain
    anything. Most people have already formulated a decision in their own mind.
    While some may be open to new views and approaches, many would see their
    view as being correct. This is a result of our own self importance in life.
    Not necessarily a narrow mind. To begin to understand any view, we must step
    back from our own and try to see it as it happened.
    Is this not the way of science?
    Do we not try to backward engineer the process?
    First take the issue of the writing of Genesis 1:
    The writer was "inspired by God", as they say. In what way was he inspired?
    Was this a verbal communication with God? or was this a visual insight
    (vision/dream) given to the writer by God? I lean toward the visions. If
    visions were the process by which God presented the creation, how would the
    concept of "day" be presented? Would this be a vision of the sun rising and
    falling? Could it have been a series of 6 separate sets of pictures/visions?
    If so, then how would the writer know how long each set was? Perhaps the
    writer used the term, "day", as a simple way to explain each separate period
    or set. If one of us were to be given a set a visions with no specific time
    frame given for either set, how would we explain this to someone without a
    common frame of reference or a lack of education? While the writer was most
    probably a person with a good understanding of nature and socio-political
    issues, the readers(common Hebrew) was not. The question we should ask
    ourselves is not how long each "day" was but rather, is the sequence of
    creation supported by what we have seen and discovered through our use of
    scientific research? If so, then the Bible and science should not be in
    conflict? The length of creation is unimportant. The only issue of
    importance should be whether our science is correct and whether the Bible
    supports our science. What do we hold to be more correct? Science? Theology?
    This is what causes such issues. We seem to be bent on making a distinction
    between one or the other. If God created us and our understanding of our
    universe(God's creation) is increased by scientific knowledge, which is
    granted by God just as are all things, should they not compliment each
    other?

    A little help please.
    Would like some other views.

    Don P