Re: Christian education

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 15:58:02 EST

    Jonathan Clarke wrote:

    > A few comments here Walt. First of all it is not an either-or choice. So not between
    > either parent controlled or teacher controlled, but between a a number of paradigms.
    >
    > Secondly, no system is perfect, but what is needed is system where all parties,
    > parents, teachers, and the larger community work together towards children's
    > education. I have no idea how things work in the US and have no intention of
    > criticising, but I know in the various schools my children have attended there have
    > been ample opportunities for parental involvement in school boards, class room
    > activities, camps etc. These were government schools.

    We live in different worlds, Jon. Over here (Massachusetts, USA) there
    is very little opportunity for parents to get involved in the
    curriculum. In the South it tends to be the opposite but it has been
    changing. The only real alternative is private schools (expensive).

    > Finally, here in Oz the Christian school lobby does tend, in my experience tends to
    > take advantage of several things, parental fears for their children being one ("Do you
    > really want non-Christians teaching YOUR children?"), and a general
    > anti-intellectualism ("One godly parent knows more about how his children should be
    > educated than any number of university graduates") for another.

    To view the other extreme (The one that exists in Massachusetts) You can
    read the manifesto of the humanist organization. They are given at:

    http://www.americanhumanist.org/about/manifesto1.html

    and

    http://www.americanhumanist.org/about/manifesto2.html

    They openly hope for the destruction of "religious" values. If such
    people controlled your school system, you would feel differently, I
    believe. Thank the Lord that you have the system that you do have.

    > But then I am prejudiced. I have deliberately chosen to educate my children though
    > the state system for a whole range of reasons.

    And I am sure that they are valid ones.

    --